The City of San Leandro Building Codes are contained in the San Leandro Municipal Code (Title 7, Chapter 7-5). The current codes went into effect on January 1, 2011. They incorporate requirements contained in the following:
· 2010 California Building Code (2009 IBC and as amended by City Ordinance)
· 2010 California Residential Code (2009 IRC as amended by City Ordinance) *NEW!
· 2010 California Green Building Standards Code *NEW!
· 2010 California Fire Code (2009 IFC)
· 2010 California Mechanical Code (2009 UMC)
· 2010 California Plumbing Code (2009 UPC as amended by City Ordinance)
· 2010 California Energy Code
· 2010 California Electrical Code (2008 NEC)
· 1997 Uniform Housing Code
******* PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 2010 RESIDENTIAL CODE AND THE 2010 CALIFORNIA GREEN BUILDING STANDARDS CODE ARE NEW AND
CONTAIN SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS NOT PREVIOUSLY COVERED BY THE OTHER CODES. ******
The California Green Building Standards Code may be downloaded from the
California Building Standards Commission website at www.bsc.ca.gov or purchased in printed form.
The California Residential Code, along with the other codes, must be purchased from an appropriate vendor.
It should be noted that the above codes have been modified by the State of California and the City of San Leandro to include various additional requirements based on local conditions. For instance, the Plumbing Code has been amended to prohibit the use of plastic pipe (i.e. ABS and PVC) within the drain, waste and vent system of a building. And the structural provisions of the Building Code have been modified to address earthquake design standards.
The best place to view these codes is the San Leandro One-Stop Permit Center or the San Leandro Library. Due to the vast amount of information contained in these codes and their technical nature, they can be difficult to navigate. Standard questions can be answered by our permit center staff. However, complex design issues should be referred to a design professional, such as an architect or an engineer.
One-Stop Permit Center staff can be reached at (510) 577-3420. For more information, contact the City's Building and Safety Services Division at (510) 577-3405.