On December 16, 2013, the City Council approved a medical cannabis ordinance allowing for the operation of one medical cannabis dispensary in an eligible location city-wide, subject to the following conditions:
- The City will issue only one medical cannabis dispensary permit;
- The approved dispensary may only be located in the City’s industrial and commercial zoning districts; cannot be within 1,000 feet of a school, library, youth center, park and recreation facility and places of religious worship; and cannot be within 500 feet of a residential zone;
- The City Manager may impose separate conditions of approval;
- A public hearing on the approval of a conditional use permit must be held by the Board of Zoning Adjustments (BZA) for any dispensary permit that is approved by the City Council;
- Operating, security, recordkeeping, facilities, and signage regulations are set in the ordinance;
- On-site distribution of edible cannabis products will be allowed and regulated to prevent the transmission of foodborne illnesses;
- Payment of non-refundable permit application fee(s), an annual permit renewal fee, and annual business lecense fee will be required.
City staff is currently developing an application that will distributed in Fall, 2014, which will be used to invite applicants who wish to operate the one medical cannabis dispensary. Staff is also analyzing the costs associated with oversight of the dispensary in order to determine the associated application fees. Please email Eric Engelbart, Assistant to the City Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to receive a copy of the application when it is released.