Medical Marijuana Ordinance
On December 16, 2013, the City Council approved a medical marijuana ordinance allowing for the operation of one medical marijuana dispensary in an eligible location city-wide.
- The City will issue only one medical marijuana dispensary permit;
- The approved dispensary may only be located in the City’s industrial and commercial zoning districts; cannot be within 1,000 feet of a school, library, youth center, park and recreation facility and places of religious worship; and cannot be within 500 feet of a residential zone;
- The City Manager may impose separate conditions of approval;
- A public hearing on the approval of a conditional use permit must be held by the Board of Zoning Adjustments (BZA) for any dispensary permit that is approved by the City Council;
- Operating, security, recordkeeping, facilities, and signage regulations are set in the ordinance;
- On-site distribution of edible cannabis products will be allowed and regulated to prevent the transmission of foodborne illnesses;
- Payment of a non-refundable permit application fee, an annual permit renewal fee, and annual business lecense fee will be required.
City staff is currently developing a Request for Proposal (RFP) process to select the one medical marijuana dispensary operator. Staff is also analyzing the costs associated with oversight of the dispensary in order to determine the permit fee amount. Recommendations for City Council review and approval of these next steps are anticipated to be presented in June 2014. The City is not accepting applications at this time. Please email City Manager Chris Zapata at email@example.com if you would like to receive a copy of the RFP when it is released.
With the City Council’s recent adoption of the medical marijuana ordinance, the City must also make related modifications to its Zoning Code. The amendment to the Zoning Code is scheduled to be reviewed and approved as follows:
- February 6, 2014 – review and input by the Board of Zoning Adjustments
- February 20, 2014 – review and approval by the Planning Commission
- March 17, 2014 – final review and approval by the City Council