Medical Cannabis Ordinance
On December 16, 2013, the City Council approved a medical cannabis ordinance allowing for the operation of one medical cannabis dispensary in an eligible location within city limits, subject to the following conditions:
- The City will issue only one medical cannabis dispensary permit;
- The approved dispensary may only be located in the City’s industrial and commercial zoning districts; cannot be within 1,000 feet of a school, library, youth center, park and recreation facility and places of religious worship; and cannot be within 500 feet of a residential zone;
- The City Manager may impose separate conditions of approval;
- A public hearing on the approval of a conditional use permit must be held by the Board of Zoning Adjustments (BZA) for any dispensary permit that is approved by the City Council;
- Operating, security, recordkeeping, facilities, and signage regulations are set in the ordinance;
- On-site distribution of edible cannabis products will be allowed and regulated to prevent the transmission of foodborne illnesses;
- Payment of non-refundable permit application fee(s), an annual permit renewal fee, and annual business license fee will be required.
Application materials were released to the public on December 5, 2014, and questions regarding the application were due to the City no later than December 18, 2014. Copies of the application materials and responses to submitted questions are posted below. Application materials for Phase I and Phase II were due back to the City no later than January 15, 2015, so the application period is now closed. Phase III finalists were notified in June 2015, and the City Council awarded the dispensary permit on September 8, 2015. Please contact the City Manager's Office at (510) 577-3351 or email MMJinfo@sanleandro.org for additional assistance regarding this program.
Dispensary Operator Application
Responses to Questions Posed by Interested Parties