In the City of San Leandro the majority of purchases are made by the Purchasing Division, which is a unit of the Finance Department. Purchasing is in charge of acquisition of equipment, materials, supplies and some services, and seeks qualified vendors to give competitive quotations on potential purchases when required under the Municipal Code. Current bidding opportunities are advertised in the Daily Review and on this web site.
* Public Works projects are bid through the Engineering and Transportation department and publicly opened in the Office of the City Clerk.
Purchasing Division Goals
- Provide City departments and employees highest level of procurement service,
- Achieve maximum value for dollars spent,
- Provide fair and equal access for vendors interested in doing business with the City,
- Provide a level of fiscal control by issuing Purchase Order numbers, and
- Ensure conditions of City purchase orders are met by vendors performing under those conditions.
In accordance with the municipal code of the City of San Leandro
- The City subscribes to the philosophy of Centralized Purchasing, whereby authorized purchases of equipment, materials, and supplies are the responsibility of the Purchasing Division, a unit of the Finance Department.
- The City subscribes to the philosophy of competitive bidding to achieve maximum value and promote fair and equal access to vendors: Expenditures from $5,000 to $25,000 are subject to informal competitive bidding, and Expenditures over $25,000 are subject to formal competitive bidding.
- Preference is given to local vendors. For expenditures $25,000 and less, the Purchasing Division will deduct five percent (5%), for comparison only, from those vendors whose primary place of business is within the City of San Leandro.
- The Purchasing Division will not split purchases for the purposes of avoiding formal or informal competitive bidding.
- The City will attempt to purchase recycled and/or reusable materials, provided quality, availability and general integrity of products being purchased are not compromised.
The Purchasing Division subscribes to the accepted Standards of Purchasing Practice as published by CAPPO (www.cappo.org).
Municipal Code (General Outline)
Equipment, materials and supplies
|$35 and less
||Purchase and get reimbursed
|$5,000 and less
||Purchase Order (PO) or City issued purchasing (credit) card/One vendor required
|$5,001 to $25,000
||PO/Informal competitive quotes
(phone calls, emails or faxes)
|$25,001 and up
||PO/Formal Competitive Bids (sealed bids)
Consultants are chosen on an as needed basis directly by the department that will be utilizing their services, and are NOT subject to competitive bidding.
Citywide services (janitorial services, landscape maintenance, etc.) are bid by the Purchasing Division and ARE subject to competitive bidding.
Disclaimer: The City of San Leandro (the "City") does not warrant, represent or guarantee the accuracy or completeness of information provided at this website. Information provided here is simply for your convenience. There may be recent addenda or changes in the Request for Proposals ("RFP") or bid documents including, among other things, bidding instructions, general conditions, technical specifications and exhibits that may not be currently reflected at this site. The City shall not be responsible or liable in any way for errors, inaccuracies or omissions in any documents or information retrieved or downloaded from this site.