Truck Routes and Transportation Permits
Section 35701 VC of the California Vehicle Code allows local authorities to prohibit the use of a street by any commercial vehicle except for public utility vehicles or any commercial vehicle on a direct route from an unrestricted street for the purpose of making pickups or deliveries.
In 2010 the City of San Leandro Traffic and Engineering Department established the following truck routes:
Truck Routes: (Click here for Truck Route Map)
Through Truck Routes
● 150th Avenue (Between East 14th Street & City Limit @ Freedom Avenue)
● East 14th Street (Between San Leandro Blvd. & City Limit @ Thrush Avenue)
● San Leandro Blvd. (Between East 14th Street & City Limit @ West Broadmoor Blvd.)
● Hesperian Blvd. (Between East 14th Street & City Limit @ I-238)
● Washington Avenue (Between San Leandro Blvd. & City Limit @ Via Enrico Avenue)
● Lewelling Blvd. (Between Washington Avenue & City Limit @ Embers Street)
Local Truck Routes
● MacArthur Blvd (Between Estudillo Avenue & City Limit @ Durant Avenue)
● Dutton Avenue
● Bancroft Avenue (Between 136th Avenue & City Limit @ Durant Avenue)
● 136th Avenue (Between Bancroft Avenue & East 14th Street)
● 143rd Avenue (Between East 14th Street & Washington Avenue)
● East 14th Street (Between San Leandro Blvd. & City Limit @ Bristol Blvd.)
● Davis Street
● Doolittle Drive (Between Farallon Drive & City Limit @ Airport Drive)
● Williams Street (Except: Between Alvarado Street & I-880)
● Marina Blvd. (Between Washington Avenue & Doolittle Drive)
● Fairway Drive (Between Doolittle Drive & I-880)
● Aladdin Avenue (Between Alvarado Street & Teagarden Street)
● Teagarden Street (Between Marina Blvd. & Alvarado Street)
● Merced Street (Between Williams Street & Wicks Blvd.)
●Wicks Blvd. (Between Merced Street & Lewelling Blvd)
● Lewelling Blvd. (Between Wicks Blvd & Washington Avenue)
● Beatrice Street (Between Washington Avenue & Kesterson Street)
● Kesterson Street (Between Beatrice Street & Manor Blvd.)
● Manor Blvd. (Between Kesterson Street & Farnsworth Street)
● Halcyon Drive (Between Hesperian Blvd. & Washington Avenue)
● Floresta Blvd. (Between Washington Avenue & Fremont Avenue)
● Fremont Avenue (Between Floresta Blvd. & Alvarado Street)
● Alvarado Street (Except: Between Marina Blvd. & Williams Street)
● Washington Avenue (Between San Leandro Blvd. & Williams Street)
● Hays Street (Between Williams Street & East14th Street)
● Farallon Drive
● Catalina Street (Between Farallon Drive & Fairway Drive)
If you have any questions, please contact the Traffic Division of the San Leandro Police Department at (510) 577-3271.
In October, 2010 the City of San Leandro renewed its “Extralegal Load” permit procedure and related permit forms. The City’s Transportation Permit Procedure has been updated to more closely reflect current CalTrans procedures. Permits are issued for the movement of an “Extralegal Load” as defined in the California Vehicle Code Section 320.5 VC.
Single Trip Permit Application
A single trip permit is valid for a laden and unladen round-trip. The Clerk checks height, length, weight, overhang, and width specifications, and requested route on the application. If the application falls within the City of San Leandro Transportation Permit Procedure criteria, then the vehicle is deemed acceptable for a single trip permit. For vehicle combinations with more than nine axles a completed Transportation Permit Rider is required.
Annual Permit Application
Generally, the City of San Leandro will allow an Annual Transportation Permit that is also allowed by CalTrans. If the applicant can provide an annual permit granted by CalTrans, the City of San Leandro will also consider issuing the same annual permit. The original copy of the Annual Permit is mailed (not faxed) to the permittee. The permittee must carry the original permit, with all required attachments, in the permitted vehicle. For annual permit requirements, please see the City of San Leandro Transportation Permit Procedure.
Links to related documents:
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Program
Please click here for more information.