• Email
  • Print

Hazardous Materials

Hazardous Materials

The City's Environmental Services Section regulates the storage, use, treatment, and disposal of hazardous materials and wastes by local industries, including those stored in aboveground and underground storage tanks. In addition, the section enforces the hazardous materials requirements of the California Fire Code, inspecting facilities that use and store hazardous materials. Staff also responds to citizen complaints about hazardous materials and reviews building plans for hazardous materials facilities.

Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA)

Senate Bill 1082, which became law in 1993, established a process for cities and counties to become certified by California's Secretary for Environmental Protection as Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs). In 1997, the City of San Leandro became one of only a few California cities to be certified as a CUPA.

As a CUPA, the City's Environmental Services Section consolidates, coordinates, and brings local Storage Tank Inspection consistency to portions of the following six state-mandated programs:

  • Hazardous Materials, which includes the Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP)
  • Hazardous Waste Generator Program
  • California Accidental Release Program (CalARP)
  • Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tank Program
  • Underground Storage Tank Program
  • Tiered Permitting (CE,CA, PBR) for on-site hazardous waste treatment

Registration Requirements

Businesses must register with the City's CUPA if they:

  • generate hazardous waste;
  • store and/or handle hazardous materials;
  • store petroleum products in aboveground storage tanks; or
  • handle regulated substances exceeding state or federal threshold quantities.

Hazardous Materials Business Plan

Any business or facility that stores or handles any one hazardous material or hazardous waste in excess of 55 gallons for liquids, 500 pounds for solids, or 200 cubic feet for gases, must submit a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP), which provides Drum storage an inventory of hazardous materials and wastes present, amounts handled, a site map, emergency response procedures, and employee training. A facility's Inventory Statement must be resubmitted each year.

The Hazardous Materials Business Plan must be completed online through the California Environmental Reporting System.

Small Quantity Registration

Facilities that handle small quantities of hazardous materials or wastes may be exempt from the HMBP requirements. If none of the individual hazardous materials or wastes equals or exceeds 55 gallons for liquids, 500 pounds for solids, or 200 cubic feet for gases, these facilities may be eligible to complete a simpler and shorter Small Quantity Hazardous Materials and Waste Registration Form (pdf) or Small Quantity Hazardous Materials and Waste Registration Form (Word doc). For further information, or to obtain the required form by mail, call (510) 577-3401.

Required Permits

The CUPA program requires permits for:

  • operating underground storage tanks
  • installing and modifying underground storage tanks
  • removing underground storage tanks
  • treating hazardous waste on site