Street crews are responsible for scheduled route sweeping, as well as extra leaf sweeping and storm debris removal. To improve the effectiveness of street sweeping in your neighborhood:
- Remove your vehicles from the street during scheduled street sweeping days before 8:00 a.m. and encourage your neighbors to do the same. Refer to the Street Sweeping Schedule for more information.
- Do not sweep or blow leaves from your property into the street. Leaves should be removed completely and placed in green waste containers or Fall Leaf Bags. Excess leaves can clog the sweepers and storm drain system.
- Remove trash and debris from the street so that it does not mix with the leaves that are picked up by the sweepers. We cannot recycle the leaves if they are contaminated with trash and debris.
- Remove any metal, concrete or wood ramp driveway approaches. Unauthorized ramps can trap trash and debris and prevent sweepers from reaching the curb to clean properly.
- Report abandoned or illegally parked vehicles to the Police Department Traffic Division at (510) 577-3208.
If your street sweeping day falls on a holiday, your street will be swept within three working days of the holiday. Streets are not swept on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day (January 1)
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day (December 25)
During the fall, the leaf debris on the streets exceeds the street sweepers cleaning capacity. Sweepers are not designed to collect excess leaf debris or large leaf piles. Sweepers must make several passes over a street throughout the day, and dump their trucks more frequently in order to accommodate the extra leaves. In addition, sweepers are accompanied by other street maintenance crews that pick up large leaf piles, clean culverts and storm drain tops, and collect piles of leaves that the sweepers have set aside. It is normal for a sweeper to make one pass through a residential street early in the day and return later in the day for additional passes. This is all part of the process of ensuring that San Leandro streets are kept as clean as possible during heavy leaf fall periods.
The City offers free paper Fall Leaf Bags to residents from October to January each year to properly manage leaves. Use the bags to collect and recycle excess leaves that do not fit into your yard clippings container. The bags will be collected curbside on your regularly scheduled collection day.