How to Identify Suspicious Packages and Letters
Some characteristics of suspicious packages and letters include the following:
- Excessive postage
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses
- Incorrect titles
- Title, but no name
- Misspellings of common words
- Oily stains, discolorations or odor
- No return address
- Excessive weight
- Lopsided or uneven envelope
- Protruding wires or aluminum foil
- Excessive security material such as masking tape, string, etc.
- Visual distractions
Precautions If You Work In A Mail Room Or Receive Suspicious Letters
- Wash your hands with antibacterial soap and warm water before and after handling the mail.
- Disposable latex gloves may be appropriate, especially if you have open cuts or skin lesions on your hands.
Helpful Phone Numbers
- Alameda County Public Health Department
- State of California
Governor's Office of Emergency Services
Safety and Information Referral Line
Helpful Web Sites