San Leandro is celebrating our Sesquicentennial - 150 years of city incorporation. Public events to honor this milestone will occur from March 2022 through December 2022. Each event will be subject to the current COVID-19 public health directives. 2022 is the year of flexibility and fun. Please consider joining the celebration!
Remembering the last 150 years,
Sesquicentennial Steering Committee
2022 Time Capsule Items:
· Letter from Mayor Pauline Cutter
· 2022 “yearbook” entitled Celebrating San Leandro’s Sesquicentennial with photos submitted by community members and various photos from around town.
· Various commemorative items from the 150th celebration including lapel pins, bags, a pint glass, shirts, patches, etc.
· Items from local businesses:
o Swag from Zocalo: coffee shop and community space
o Bottles and cans from the local breweries: Drake’s, 21st Amendment and Fieldwork Brewing Co.
o Reusable coffee cup from Peet’s Coffee
o Ice cream cup from Loard’s
· Pictures of the Black Lives Matter murals that were up around town. The photos were included in the San Leandro History Museum as an exhibit.
· Black Lives Matter Yard Sign
· Letters submitted via our Notes to the Future program where people could write letters to 2072.
· Local newspapers: The San Leandro Times, Tri-City Voice, The East Bay Times, San Francisco Chronicle
· San Leandro Kindness Pin
· Signed mug from the Breakfast Club, along with their history and membership roster
· Menus from various local restaurants. Please note many restaurants only had digital menus.
· Historical images of Larsen Lumber, one of the oldest businesses in town, established 1882
· City signage used during the COVID-19 pandemic
· San Leandro Stands United Against Hate sign
· Face mask from the San Leandro Kaiser Permanente hospital
· Strategic plan, pamphlets and letter to the future Chamber from the San Leandro Chamber of Commerce
· Official city proclamation proclaiming San Leandro an Age Friendly City
· Signed copy of Brian Copeland’s Not A Genuine Black Man
· Copy of Nancy D. Brown’s Semaphore documenting a 2022 city funded public art project
· Current Map of the East Bay Regional Parks System
· Current Map of the BART system
· Contributions from the San Leandro Historical Society including programs from the 150th events, a copy of Images of America: San Leandro by Cindy Simons (member and former president of the Historical Society), and a copy of their San Leandro Architecture and House Tour brochure.
· Various items from City Departments
o Handouts, flyers and library card from the San Leandro Public Library
o Kaiser Permanente Development Plan Proposal
o Shoreline Development Project Information
o Handouts from the Library’s and Museum’s “Redlining and Housing Discrimination in San Leandro” Exhibit
o San Leandro 2021 Climate Action Plan to address climate change
o Brochures and facility map from the San Leandro Unified School District
o Map of City of San Leandro public parks and facilities
o Fall/Winter 2022 Recreation Guide
o City Newsletters from 2022
o San Leandro Public Works shirt and signed hat