File a Claim

Claims Against the City

If you believe that the City of San Leandro or its employee(s) has caused damage to you, your personal property or real property, you have the right to file a claim against the city for damages. Claim forms are available at City Hall through the City Clerk's Office during normal business hours. Claims take approximately 45 days to process. Please note that the City does not provide legal advice. It is recommended that you seek legal advice from private counsel.

How Do I File a Claim Against the City of San Leandro?

Government Code sections 905 and 915 require completion of a claim form with written justification for the amount of your claim.

• Claims must be filed within six months following the incident.

• Be sure to fill out the form completely, as an incomplete form may delay processing of your claim.

• Including a complete list of the names, addresses, and contact information for all witnesses to the incident will assist with the prompt review of the claim.

• Property damage claims require an estimate of repair costs and photographs of the alleged damage.

• Personal injury claims require copies of all bills from treating physicians and proof of any other expenses claimed as a result of the incident.

• If you are claiming a wage loss, you need to provide supporting documentation of work days and wages lost.

How do I Submit my Claim?

• Request a claim form from the City Clerk’s office.

• Download it from this site.

• Please complete the form in its entirety or risk having it returned to you as insufficient.

• A completed claim form and any documentation including photographs, receipts, reports, witness statements, or estimates that support your claim must be submitted by scheduling an in-person appointment with the City Clerk’s Office.

• Submit the original, signed and dated claim form to the Office of the City Clerk.

What Happens After I File a Claim?

• A letter of acknowledgment with your claim number will be sent to you notifying you that your claim has been received. Use that claim number when inquiring about the status of your claim.

• Allow 45 days for the Risk Management Division to process and investigate your claim.

• The City may request additional information concerning your claim; such a request is neither an admission of responsibility or liability nor a commitment to make any payment on the claim.

What Are Possible Outcomes of a Claims Review?

• Settlement offer: The City may offer to settle your claim if the investigation concludes it is responsible or at fault, and all information has been submitted.

• Formal Denial: You will receive a formal denial letter if the City has determined that it is not responsible or at fault and will not pay any money in response to the claim. If your claim is denied and you wish to file a lawsuit against the City, you must do so within six months from the date the denial letter is placed in the mail.

• Delayed Decision: The City may postpone decision on your claim until medical treatment has been completed and bills or appropriate wage-loss forms and payroll records are submitted.

• If you do not receive a formal denial of your claim, you have two years from the date of the incident to resolve your claim or file a lawsuit.

Who Should I Contact if I Have Questions About Filing a Claim?

• If you have questions about your claim, contact Risk Management at 510-577-3293.

• You may seek the advice of a private attorney at any time during the investigation and evaluation of your claim.

• The City Attorney is counsel for the City and cannot provide advice regarding the merits of your claim.