Juan González III
Juan González III, Mayor
Email Juan González III
835 E 14th Street
San Leandro, CA 94577
Term Expires: December 2026
Over the last 30 years, Juan and his wife have made San Leandro their home. They raised four children, each attending San Leandro public schools during that time. Juan and his wife have been actively involved in the community since moving here and are grateful for San Leandro’s welcoming and inclusive environment.
Juan believes that we are all lifelong learners. Education and life experience help inform us about the art of the possible. Combining education and experience with core values empowers us to tackle seemingly impossible challenges.
Juan’s classroom education includes:
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, University of Texas
- Ph.D., economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- 40 hours of continuing professional education per year over the last 30 years
For over 30 years, Juan has helped clients use data analytics and financial modeling to understand challenges, develop solutions, and quantify results. His work has covered diverse applications ranging from financial modeling of an electrical system and pension liabilities to regulatory/contract compliance, performance assessments, and fraud analytics.
Juan was a lecturer at UC Berkeley for six years, teaching Government Regulation of Industry. He has also served as a guest lecturer at several other universities.
Juan believes in leadership through example. For over 30 years, Juan has volunteered his time to directly serve those in need and serve in leadership roles for nonprofit organizations. Examples of his prior volunteer service include:
- Preparing and/or serving food for the San Leandro warming shelter, April Showers, and the San Leandro Improvement Association
- Staffing the St. Leander parish warming shelter
- Helping at diverse nature/cleaning events such as City-supported community clean-ups, Friends of the San Leandro Creek events, and San Leandro Butterfly Gardens work mornings
- Providing sound reinforcement and engineering for many events, including school and church festivals, fundraising events for San Leandro nonprofits, and the City of San Leandro Youth Advisory Commission talent show
- Serving as a board member of nonprofit organizations such as the San Leandro Education Foundation, Big Brothers Big Sisters East Bay, and Side by Side
- Serving as President for the San Leandro High School Site Council, and President of Bancroft PTA, and Vice Chair of the San Leandro Community Advisory Budget Task Force.
- East Bay Community Energy, Board of Directors
- Alameda County Transportation Commission
- Alameda County Fire Advisory Commission (Alternate)