- Community Development
- Housing Element
San Leandro Housing Element
San Leandro Housing Element Update (2023-2031)
The City of San Leandro is updating its Housing Element and we want to hear from you!
Please visit our dedicated project website at https://slhousingelement.com/ for up to date information on how to get involved, including upcoming community workshops, City public meetings, reports and resources, and other opportunities.
The City Council will consider the 2023-2031 Housing Element at a public hearing on December 5, 2022 at 6:30 p.m. Members of the public may attend the meeting in-person at the Council Chambers 835 E. 14th Street, visiting https://zoom.us/j/506831637 online, or by phone 1-888-788-0099 Enter Webinar ID: 506 831 637.
The agenda packet is located at Meeting Central and the item is 12.b.
- Public Hearing Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element Update in response to HCD Formal Comment Letter received November 14, 2022
To comment on this item. please visit e-comment by Sunday, December 4, 2022.
Please email project manager Avalon Schultz at [email protected] with questions. Thank you!
What is the Housing Element?
The Housing Element is a policy document that provides a comprehensive strategy for promoting the production of available, affordable, and adequate housing within the community. It serves as a strategy to address housing needs across the economic and social spectrum. State law requires that cities and counties update their housing elements approximately every 8 years.
The City of San Leandro's first Housing Element was adopted in 2003, and updated in 2011 and 2015, and is part of the City's General Plan, which is the broader document that guides decisions about land use, transportation, natural resources, community design, public services and environmental hazards in San Leandro. The overall purpose of the Housing Element is to ensure that safe, decent, affordable shelter is provided for all San Leandro residents. The Housing Element provides direction on the production of new market-rate and affordable homes and guides the city's housing programs and activities. It includes policies and actions related to new construction and rehabilitation, affordable housing development, first-time homebuyer programs, housing for seniors and others with special needs and fair housing practices in San Leandro. The Housing Element is the only part of the General Plan that must be formally certified by the State of California. San Leandro relies on a certified Housing Element to help secure funding for many of its housing-related programs.
Adopted Housing Elements
Below are the links to the City’s Adopted Housing Elements.
2023-2031 Housing Element
Please visit https://slhousingelement.com/
2015-2023 Housing Element (Current)
Below are the links to the City’s 2015-2023 Housing Element, which the City Council approved on January 20, 2015.
- 1Cover (PDF)
- 2Acknowledgements - Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 2 - Evaluation of the 2010 Housing Element (PDF)
- Chapter 3 - Needs Assessment (PDF)
- Chapter 4 - Analysis of Housing Sites (PDF)
- Chapter 5 - Potential Constraints to Housing Production (PDF)
- Chapter 6 - Housing Goals, Objectives, Policies, and Actions (PDF)
- Chapter 7 - Implementation Program (PDF)
- zAppendices A/B - Inventory of Housing Sites-Housing Survey Form (PDF)
2010 Housing Element
The 2010 Housing Element consists of 10 files which can be accessed using the links below, including the environmental review document (Initial Study / Negative Declaration).
- 2010 Housing Element (Entire Document) (PDF)
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Review of the 2003 Housing Element
- Chapter 3 - Needs Assessment
- Chapter 4 - Analysis of Housing Sites
- Chapter 5 - Potential Constraints to Housing Production
- Chapter 6 - Housing Goals, Objectives, Policies and Actions
- Chapter 7 - Implementation Program
- Appendices A/B Inventory of Housing Sites / Housing Survey Form
- CEQA Initial Study
- CEQA Negative Declaration