San Leandro Housing Element
What is the Housing Element?
The Housing Element is a policy document that provides a comprehensive strategy for promoting the production of available, affordable, and adequate housing within the community. It serves as a strategy to address housing needs across the economic and social spectrum. State law requires that cities and counties update their housing elements approximately every 8 years.
The City of San Leandro's first Housing Element was adopted in 2003, and updated in 2011, 2015, and 2023 and is part of the City's General Plan, which is the broader document that guides decisions about land use, transportation, natural resources, community design, public services and environmental hazards in San Leandro. The overall purpose of the Housing Element is to ensure that safe, decent, affordable shelter is provided for all San Leandro residents. The Housing Element provides direction on the production of new market-rate and affordable homes and guides the city's housing programs and activities. It includes policies and actions related to new construction and rehabilitation, affordable housing development, first-time homebuyer programs, housing for seniors and others with special needs and fair housing practices in San Leandro. The Housing Element is the only part of the General Plan that must be formally certified by the State of California. San Leandro relies on a certified Housing Element to help secure funding for many of its housing-related programs.
Adopted Housing Elements
Below are the links to the City’s Adopted Housing Elements.
The City Council adopted the 2023-2031 San Leandro Housing Element Update on December 5, 2022. The Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) certified the 2023-2031 San Leandro Housing Element Update on February 2, 2023.
Housing and Environmental Justice Element General Plan Update - Supplemental EIR (SEIR)
2015-2023 Housing Element
Below are the links to the City’s 2015-2023 Housing Element, which the City Council approved on January 20, 2015.
- 1Cover (PDF)
- 2Acknowledgements - Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 - Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 2 - Evaluation of the 2010 Housing Element (PDF)
- Chapter 3 - Needs Assessment (PDF)
- Chapter 4 - Analysis of Housing Sites (PDF)
- Chapter 5 - Potential Constraints to Housing Production (PDF)
- Chapter 6 - Housing Goals, Objectives, Policies, and Actions (PDF)
- Chapter 7 - Implementation Program (PDF)
- zAppendices A/B - Inventory of Housing Sites-Housing Survey Form (PDF)
2010 Housing Element
The 2010 Housing Element consists of 10 files which can be accessed using the links below, including the environmental review document (Initial Study / Negative Declaration).
- 2010 Housing Element (Entire Document) (PDF)
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 - Introduction
- Chapter 2 - Review of the 2003 Housing Element
- Chapter 3 - Needs Assessment
- Chapter 4 - Analysis of Housing Sites
- Chapter 5 - Potential Constraints to Housing Production
- Chapter 6 - Housing Goals, Objectives, Policies and Actions
- Chapter 7 - Implementation Program
- Appendices A/B Inventory of Housing Sites / Housing Survey Form
- CEQA Initial Study
- CEQA Negative Declaration