Walk-ins are always welcome but customers with an appointment will be given preference.
Upon arrival to City Hall, visitors will be asked to follow health protocols to help keep everyone safe and healthy. We encourage everyone to prioritize accessing City services online, by email and by phone. The Permit Center is closed on Fridays and at lunchtime daily from 12 pm to 1 pm.
Planning Division Services
The Permit Center at City Hall is open Monday through Thursdays
- Planning and Zoning Questions: Contact the Planner-On-Duty at the Permit Center or at (510) 577-3325.
- Planning Applications: Get answers to your questions or file a planning application at the Permit Center. Please see below for updates or visit our updated Planning Applications webpage.
- Public Hearings: Regularly scheduled meetings of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustments are held at 7pm on the first Thursday of every month. Administrative hearings of the Zoning Enforcement Official (ZEO) are held at 9am on the third Tuesday of every month. Please visit the Public Hearings page for information on how to participate in the hearings.
- Zoning Verification Letters: We are continuing to accept and process requests for Zoning Verification Letters. Please see below for details. You can also access the interactive zoning map, public records, archival records search (Laserfiche) and permit status (Accela Citizen Access portal).
- Building Permits by the Building Division: If you need a building permit for solar, electrical, meter upgrades, accessory dwelling units (ADU)s, construction, and demolition, please contact the Building Division. For building permit status, visit the online Accela Citizen Access Portal or contact the building permit tech or clerk or clerk who accepted your application for Building permits / plan review.
- Projects Near You: To see if a permit has been issued or if there is project in progress near you, use CityDash.
For questions or concerns about limitations on business or construction activities, please review the current Alameda County Health Order and Workplace Guidance. The Temporary Outdoor Facilities Registration program is available for outdoor dining, retail and other outdoor service activities. Email the COVID-19 Business team for more information.
About the Planning Division
San Leandro's Planning Division regulates land use by directing the City's current and long-range planning activities, including:
- Interpreting and implementing the various state and city codes and ordinances as they relate to property and land use (like the Zoning Code) and answering customer questions about Planning and the Zoning Code;
- Processing and reviewing planning applications for entitlements and development proposals for residential, commercial, office and industrial projects;
- Coordinating environmental review and disclosure in accord with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA);
- Presenting development proposals at public hearings and providing support to the City's Planning-related advisory bodies, such as the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Adjustments and the Zoning Enforcement Official regarding land use matters;
- Completing planning studies and preparing amendments to the General Plan, Zoning Code, and Zoning Map; and
- Coordinating with local, regional and state agencies.
Planning Division Services
If you have Planning or Zoning Code questions or wish to discuss a project, please contact the Planner-On-Duty. Please provide your name, contact information, and the property address, if it is available. When you email, it is especially helpful, if you are able to provide a digital copy of your proposed plans (sketch or drafted plans, depending on project complexity).
Email: [email protected]
- Please leave a voicemail and a planner will reach out to you as soon as possible.
- For faster service, provide a property address.
- Am I in San Leandro? Check your address to be sure you're in the City and not in the County.
- For permit status, visit the online Accela Citizen Access Portal.
- For questions about building permits, forms, fees, status, visit the Building Division's website.
- New Applications: Visit the updated Planning Applications webpage for information on how to apply, planning fees, and application checklists.
- Application Resubmittals: Contact your assigned project planner or contact the Planner-On-Duty if your project planner has changed.
- Planning Application Status: Visit the online Accela Citizen Access Portal. To see if there is an application in progress near you, use CityDash.
Upcoming Public Hearings
- City Council, PC-BZA: For agendas and staff reports regarding any upcoming public hearings scheduled before the City Council, Planning Commission (PC) or Board of Zoning Adjustments (BZA), visit the City's Meeting Central.
- ZEO: For agendas and staff reports regarding any upcoming public hearings scheduled before the Zoning Enforcement Official (ZEO), visit the Public Hearings webpage.
Other Planning Services
Zoning Verification Letters
Send your request and payment (PDF) by mail or drop them off in-person at the Permit Center. All details are in our Zoning Verification Letter application checklist (PDF).
Zoning Conformance for Business Licenses
Apply for your business license first. Business License staff and HDL (3rd-party vendor) will inform you if you need to fill out and submit a Zoning Conformance Form and will provide details about how to submit the form to HDL.
Zoning Conformance for ABC and DMV Licenses
Send your forms to the Planner-On-Duty.