The Planning Division is Open for In-Person Services at the Permit Center
Walk-ins are welcome but appointments are recommended and will be given priority.
Due to limited staffing levels, the Permit Center is closed at lunchtime, from 12 pm to 1 pm. Upon arrival to City Hall, visitors will be asked to follow health protocols to help keep everyone safe and healthy. View more information on City Hall's reopening plan. We encourage everyone to continue accessing City services online, by email and by phone.
Business Resources during the Pandemic
Visit the COVID-19 Business Resources for support services available to local businesses.
For questions or concerns about limitations on business or construction activities, please review the current Alameda County Health Order and Workplace Guidance. The Temporary Outdoor Facilities Registration program has been extended and continues to be available for outdoor dining, retail and other outdoor service activities. Email the COVID-19 Business team for more information.
Update on Planning Division Services
We are currently experiencing a very high volume of applications combined with staffing limitations and ongoing COVID-19 safety protocols. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.
- Planning and Zoning Questions: Contact the Planner-On-Duty.
- Planning Applications: Staff is continuing to accept and process planning applications. Please see below for updates or visit our updated Planning Applications webpage.
- Public Hearings: Regularly scheduled meetings of the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Adjustments and Zoning Enforcement Official are being held via teleconferencing. Please visit the Public Hearings page for current information on how to participate in a the hearings.
- Zoning Verification Letters: We are continuing to accept and process requests for Zoning Verification Letters. Please see below for details. You can also access the interactive zoning map, public records, archival records search (Laserfiche) and permit status (Accela Citizen Access portal).
- Building Permits by the Building Division: If you need a building permit for solar, electrical, meter upgrades, accessory dwelling units (ADU)s, construction, and demolition, please contact the Building Division. For building permit status, visit the online Accela Citizen Access Portal or contact the building permit tech or clerk or clerk who accepted your application for Building permits / plan review.
About the Planning Division
San Leandro's Planning Division directs current and long-range planning activities for the City, including:
- interpreting and implementing the various state and city codes and ordinances relating to property and land use (like the Zoning Code) and answering customer questions about Planning and the Zoning Code;
- processing and reviewing planning applications for development proposals for residential, commercial, office and industrial projects;
- coordinating the City's environmental review procedures in accord with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA);
- presenting development proposals at public hearings and providing support to the City's Planning-related advisory bodies, such as the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Adjustments, the Zoning Enforcement Official, and the Site Development Sub-Commission, regarding land use matters;
- completing planning studies and preparing amendments to the General Plan, Zoning Code, and Zoning Map; and
- coordinating with local, regional and state agencies.
Planning Division Services
If you have Planning or Zoning Code questions or wish to discuss a project, please contact the Planner-On-Duty. Please provide your name, contact information, and the property address, if it is available. When you email, it is especially helpful, if you are able to provide a digital copy of your proposed plans (sketch or drafted plans, depending on project complexity).
Email: [email protected]
- New Applications: Visit the updated Planning Applications webpage for information on how to apply, planning fees, and application checklists.
- Application Resubmittals: Contact your project planner or contact the Planner-On-Duty if your project planner has changed.
- Planning Application Status: Visit the online Accela Citizen Access Portal. To see if there is an application in progress near you, use CityDash.
Upcoming Public Hearings
Other Planning Services
Zoning Verification Letters
Send your request and payment (PDF) by mail or drop them off in-person at the Permit Center. All details are in our Zoning Verification Letter application checklist (PDF).
Zoning Conformance for Business Licenses
Apply for your business license first. Business License staff and HDL (3rd-party vendor) will inform you if you need to fill out and submit a Zoning Conformance Form and will provide details about how to submit the form to HDL.
Zoning Conformance for ABC and DMV Licenses
Send your forms to the Planner-On-Duty.