- LGBTQ Liaison Program
LGBTQ Liaison Program
The San Leandro Police Department is excited to announce the development of our newest community program, the LGBTQ Liaison Team. This group of both sworn and non-sworn police personnel is comprised not only of allies of the LGBTQ community, but LGBTQ staff as well.
The implementation of this program is long overdue for our community; a community rich in LGBTQ history and that celebrates our diversity in San Leandro. Our program will embody several pillars of engagement, bringing awareness and assistance to a community which often times feels without a voice.
Pillars of Focus
The LGBTQ Liaison Team will assist the community, and our City's staff with the following pillars of focus:
- Development and implementation of training on LGBTQ issues to sworn and non-sworn members of the police department, ensuring equality and professionalism
- Attend community events and meetings focused on the LGBTQ community to provide essential resources.
- In partnership with the LGBTQ community, identify and address issues within our city, both criminal in nature and quality of life
- Assist officers and investigators during their initial contact or follow-up interactions with members of the LGBTQ community, and aid in those investigations
- Act as a point of contact between the LGBTQ community and the police department
- Assist other members in coming out and transitioning in our agency, fostering an inclusive and welcoming environment within our department
Closing the Gab with Law Enforcement and the LGBTQ Community
Historically, interactions between law enforcement and the LGBTQ community have not always been positive. Crimes often times go unreported as a result, causing victimization to continue, cases to go unsolved, which can broaden the gap between law enforcement and the LGBTQ community. The San Leandro Police Department acknowledges this adversarial past, and we are committed to developing a partnership within the LGBTQ community which will foster trust, and positive relationships within our organization and City.
For questions, concerns or information requests please email the LGBTQ Liaison Team or call 510-577-6017. As a reminder, for emergencies or crimes in progress, please call 911.
At the San Leandro Police Department, we have always made it our priority to maintain your safety, earn your trust and gain your support. We are proud to extend this message to the diverse and incredible people of the LGBTQ community and look forward to this progressive new partnership.
We are pleased to introduce you to the San Leandro Police Department LGBTQ Liaison Team!
Sergeant Ryan Gill
Ryan transferred to San Leandro from the Oakland Police Department in 2007. Ryan is currently assigned to the Traffic Division and has experience as a Hostage Negotiator, Detective, Field Training Officer and department instructor.
Sergeant Emiliano Rincon
Emiliano transferred to San Leandro from the Stockton Police Department in 2019. Emiliano is currently assigned to the Patrol Division and has experience as a Hostage Negotiator, Field Training Officer and department instructor.
Officer Jenene James
Jenene has been a member of the San Leandro Police Department since 2016. Jenene is currently assigned to the Bicycle Patrol Unit within the Patrol Division and has experience as a Hostage Negotiator, Mental Health Liaison and homeless outreach.