Be a Student
To qualify for Project Literacy, you must:
- Be 18 years old or older and not currently enrolled in high school
- Be able to communicate with a tutor in English
- Read and/or write below the high school level
- Commit to work on basic reading and writing for 6 months or more
- Meet with a tutor for 2 hours per week
Contact the Project Literacy office to see if you qualify: Call 510-577-3944
How Project Literacy Works
You choose your own schedule and Project Literacy matches you with a trained volunteer tutor. You and your tutor will meet one-on-one every week for 2 hours. Your tutor can help you:
- Write a resume
- Read a book
- Read and understand forms
- Fill out applications
- Write and send emails
- Read to your child
- Read the newspaper
- Register to vote
- Study for tests (GED, Citizenship test, drivers' test, etc.)
- And more!
For more information, please click here to see our Learner Frequently Asked Questions.
Be a Volunteer Tutor
Project Literacy seeks volunteer literacy tutors year-round and holds tutor training opportunities throughout the year. See below for our next tutor training opportunity.
Volunteer tutors must:
- Be 18 years old or older and have a high school diploma or GED
- Ability to speak English clearly
- Ability to write and spell correctly
- Complete our free tutor orientation and both training workshops
- Commit to at least 6 months of volunteering
- Tutor a minimum of 2 hours per week
- Pass fingerprinting/Live Scan
New Tutor Orientation & Training
Please check back here for New Tutor Orientation & Training updates.
Email us at [email protected] to be added to the Tutor Training Waitlist.
Email us at [email protected] or call 510-577-3944