Be a Student
To qualify for Project Literacy, you must:
- Be 18 years old or older and not currently enrolled in high school.
- Seek literacy services for yourself.
- Speak English.
- Have at least one goal related to improving your reading and/or writing.
- Read and/or write below the high school level.
- Commit to work on basic reading and writing for 6 months or more.
- Meet with a tutor for 2 hours per week.
Contact the Project Literacy office to see if you qualify: Call 510-577-3944
How Project Literacy Works
You choose your own schedule and Project Literacy matches you with a trained volunteer tutor. You and your tutor will meet one-on-one every week for 2 hours. Your tutor can help you prepare for tests, write emails, understand forms, read books and more.
For more information, please click here to see our Learner Frequently Asked Questions.
Meet Kristi, who talks about why she joined an adult literacy program and how it has helped her to achieve her career goals.
Be a Volunteer Tutor
Project Literacy seeks volunteer literacy tutors year-round and holds tutor training opportunities throughout the year. See below for our next tutor training opportunity.
Volunteer tutors must:
- Be 18 years old or older and have a high school diploma or GED
- Ability to speak, read, and write English well
- Complete our free tutor orientation and both training workshops
- Tutor a minimum of 2 hours per week for a period of at least 6 months
- Pass fingerprinting/Live Scan
New Tutor Orientation & Training
Next Tutor Orientation and Training: Date TBA
SIGN UP HERE to get notifications for the next orientation and training sessions.
Email us at [email protected] or call 510-577-3944