Virtual Senior Community Center
Welcome to the Virtual Senior Community Center, where you can easily access helpful resources, maintain a healthy lifestyle, develop community connections, and enjoy fun experiences. The Senior Community Center may be closed, but we are still eager to connect with you online!
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
Visit Alameda County Health Care Services Public Health Department's COVID information pages for up-to-date information, vaccination, and testing sites.
FLEX RIDES Shuttle operates Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. FLEX RIDES On-Demand subsidized rides are available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year. If you have any questions regarding the FLEX RIDES program or are interested in enrolling, please contact FLEX RIDES Administrator, Liz Escobar at 1(510) 577-7985.
Please visit FLEX RIDES Website for details regarding the program and to download a program application.
San Leandro Main Library - Access fascinating E-Books and tutorials through the Library's Digital Library Services
How to use Facebook Messenger - Beginners Guide - Learn how to use Facebook Messenger on your phone and connect via video, audio, or text.
How to Zoom- Quick tutorials to learn how to download, sign up and join Zoom meetings.
Older Adults Technology Services - Older Adults Technology Services (OATS) is a leader in crafting programs that meet the needs of seniors to use technology for a more connected and secure life.
Senior Planet - Join Senior Planet for 50+ online programs every week to keep learning, connecting, and exploring! Their courses, programs, and activities help seniors learn new skills, save money, get in shape and make new friends.
2-1-1 Dial 2-1-1 for comprehensive social service information for Alameda County, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, multiple languages/TTY.
AARP Safe Driving - Refresh your driving skills and you could save on auto insurance. When you take the AARP Smart Driver online course, you may be eligible for a discount on your auto insurance. The course teaches proven driving techniques to help keep you and your loved ones safe while driving.
Affordable Respite Program for Family Caregivers - Are you a caregiver to a family member or friend with dementia and/or other chronic conditions? Do you find yourself struggling with their increased care needs? Do you need Affordable Respite Care support? Contact Roger at 510-671-5504 or Email Affordable Respite Program for Family Caregivers
Alameda County Area Agency on Aging - Senior Resource Guide and Senior Resources around Alameda County.
California Telephone Access Program - Official state of California program providing free adaptive telephone equipment for those with difficulty using a standard phone. CTAP now provides amplified Bluetooth accessories to make your cell phones louder. Call 1 (800) 806-1191 or visit californiaphones.org to apply.
Disaster Preparedness - The California Department of Aging has prepared information for emergency preparedness and response resources.
Diverse Elders - Recognize the incredible diversity in your community while also recognizing the commonalities across many of the issues which diverse, older adults face. As a coalition, Diverse Elders has the capability to leverage organizational resources, knowledge, and expertise to advocate for change that will affect all elders.
LIFE ElderCare - is a local non-profit that empowers the aging to live with independence AND interdependence. This organization offers free, simple and important services for older adults who prefer to remain living at home. Call 1 (510) 894-0370 or email [email protected] for more information about their programs.
PG&E's Medical Baseline Program -The Medical Baseline Program, also known as Medical Baseline Allowance, is an assistance program for residential customers who depend on power for certain medical and independent living needs. The program includes two different kinds of help: A lower rate on your monthly energy bill and Extra notifications in advance of a Public Safety Power Shutoff.
Customers who are eligible for Medical Baseline receive an additional allotment of electricity and/or gas per month. This helps ensure that more energy to support qualifying medical devices is available at a lower rate.
If you rely on a medical device that would require an emergency battery backup, please contact Community Resources for Independent Living (CRIL) at 1 510-881-5743 or visit their website crilhayward.org
The Foundation for Art and Healing - The Foundation for Art and Healing is a nonprofit organization that mobilizes partners and the public to embrace the arts as a proven path towards improved personal and public health.
Community Education Programs
Learn important information on topics that relate to older adults at FREE Community Education Programs on ZOOM
Older adults, family members, caregivers, and friends are welcome to attend our Community Education Programs to receive important information on topics and services related to seniors. These sessions are held on ZOOM and require a valid email address.
The Zoom link is emailed the morning of the meeting date; pre-registration is required.
Register by calling Customer Service at 1 (510) 577-3462 or at sanleandrorec.org
Zoom Trivia Sessions
Would you like to take part in a live chat with your peers discussing interesting topics? These Zoom sessions will be hosted by Senior Services staff to guide in a walk down memory lane. To register call Customer Service at 510-577-3462 or visit San Leandro's Rec site
View the current Monthly Calendar for details about individual Zoom Trivia sessions
Arts & Crafts
- Art Sherpa - Beginner acrylic painting, with step by step lessons for new artists
- Crochet and Knitting - DIY Tutorial videos on crochet, knitting, sewing, quilting, beading, wreath making, and more
- DIY Craft Projects - DIY projects using things found in your house
- Flower Arrangement - Flower arrangement using grocery store flowers
Online Games, Entertainment, & Virtual Tours
- Botanical Garden at UC Berkeley - UC Berkeley's Botanical Garden is open! Masks are now only required for unvaccinated visitors in indoor spaces. The Garden is open by reservation only for the general public. No advance reservation is required for Members or UCB affiliates. Open Daily, 10 am-5 pm, for general admission. Closed the first Tuesday of the month. Check the website for special events or closures.
- National Women's History Museum - Explore collections of virtual exhibits and learn about trailblazing women, past and present.
- Baseball Hall Of Fame - Explore a vast array of digital collections and exhibits that you can virtually visit even when the museum is closed.
- Cooking with Byron Talbott - Discover and indulge with delicious new recipes
- Card Games - Online Card Games
- Puzzles - keep the mind sharp with puzzles and brain games
- Opera - Stream live operas
- Yellow Brick Cinema - Relaxing music to help reduce stress, unwind, improve mental wellness and sleep
- San Francisco Ballet at Home - With the current COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders, San Francisco Ballet joins the community to keep each other safe and the good of the public at the forefront by showcasing some favorite pieces from recent years right in your homes, completely free!
- San Francisco MOMA Museum From Home - Find artist interviews, essays, educational materials, and other highlights from SF's Museum of Modern Art digital collection.
- San Francisco Symphony - Throughline: San Francisco Symphony- From Hall to Home welcomes new Music Director Esa-Pekka Salonen and eight Collaborative Partners with digital concert events that chart a new direction for the Orchestra.
- De Young Museum From Home - Museum doors may be closed, but they are motivated to forge ahead knowing that our community needs the solace and inspiration of art more than ever. De Young Museum has collected articles about the collections and exhibitions, videos about conservation, interviews with curators-all to let you Museum from Home. Visit Google Arts and Culture to view more online exhibitions.
- El Museo Mexicano - Explore fascinating programs that showcase the art, history, and cultural richness of Mexico.
Virtual senior Travel Troupe
- Explore Dubai's Most Famous Buildings - From luxury properties to massive malls and dazzling skyscrapers, the emirate of Dubai has come a long way from its beginnings as a fishing village decades ago.
- Yosemite National Park Virtual Tour - Explore the park like never before! Virtual Yosemite is an online interactive virtual reality tour of Yosemite National Park and its surrounding areas.
- California Academy of Sciences - Tune in to a Live Cam! Be delighted by the California Academy of Sciences' graceful stingrays, colorful coral reef, and African penguin colony in vivid HD.
Matter of Balance / Managing Concerns about Falls
Many older adults experience concerns about falling and restrict their activities. A matter of balance is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels. All classes are free and will be held on Zoom. Beginning Wednesday, August 11, 2021, and repeating every Wednesday from 10 am to noon, ending Wednesday, October 6th.
For more information or to enroll, contact Pamela Stoker, Trauma Injury Prevention Specialist, via email or call 510-727-8485.
Better Balance video - Improve your balance in 5 minutes
Fall Prevention Webinar- Are you concerned about falling? Do you want to learn ways to prevent falls? You can prevent falls by knowing more about what factors can cause a fall. Join Sutter Health Eden Medical Center for this FREE event where you can learn what to do to safeguard yourself from a fall. Pamela Stoker, Trauma Injury Specialist, and Exercise Psychologist will discuss these important topics. These events will repeat on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. A new fall prevention topic will be discussed each month. To register, please call 1 510-727-8485 or email [email protected].
Tai Chi- Dr. Paul Lam, with his team of medical and tai chi experts, has designed the most useful and learner-friendly instructional material to improve health and wellness.
Chair Exercise - 10-minute chair exercises for seniors
Sample Workouts - from the National Institute on Aging
Silver Sneakers - Exercises designed for adults 65+
Yoga with Adriene - Yoga
Line Dancing with Kari - Join Acton Senior Center's Line Dancing Instructor, Kari, as she gracefully shuffles through step-by-step Line Dancing.
Arthritis Foundation podcast - Learn to manage your arthritis, from controlling pain to being more active. Hear strategies for communicating with family, friends about your arthritis, plus tips for wellness in difficult times.
Mindfulness - Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you're sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.
View Sample meditation
Well Connected - If you are aged 60+ and looking for activities to do, or would just like to talk to friendly voices, we suggest trying out Well Connected, a "senior center without walls" that provides activities and conversations over the phone or online. Please call 877-797-7299. Well Connected Español (!Conectate con nosotros!)- 877-400-5867
Friendship Line - Institute on Aging's 24-hour toll-free Friendship Line is the only accredited crisis line in the country for people aged 60 years and older, and adults living with disabilities. Call toll-free 800-971-0016.
Alameda County Crisis Support Services - Crisis Support Services of Alameda County recognizes and understands the impact of trauma including the challenge of accessing supportive services. They provide a welcoming and safe environment. For 24 hour support, please call 800-309-2131.