San Leandro History Room
The San Leandro History Room, located on the second floor of the main library, has an impressive collection of books and materials on California and local history.
- The San Leandro Historical Photograph and Document Collection with over 2,200 photos. Photos also available through our catalog by selecting the History Collection from the dropdown menu of the search bar.
- Hayward/San Leandro city directories dating from 1925 to 1965
- Local Middle and High School yearbooks from 1933 to Present
- Alameda County Census Data from 1852 to 1920
- Historic Maps including Sanborn Fire Insurance maps
- Clippings and articles dating from 1960s to present
- Local newspapers (PDF) dating back to 1856
History Room Services
Free Genealogy Walk-in Workshops on the first Wednesday of each month from 1 pm to 3 pm on a first-come, first-served basis. Ask our in-house volunteer family history expert how to get started researching your family history.
Obituary Research is provided upon request. The service charge for an obituary request from the San Leandro Library is $15, whether the search was successful or not. Checks should be made payable to the San Leandro Public Library Foundation. Searches are made for deaths in San Leandro only. The obituary search will begin after the service charge is received. Download and fill out the Obituary Request Form (DOCX).
Send your request to:
San Leandro Public Library
300 Estudillo Avenue
San Leandro, CA 94577
Eagle Candy Kitchen, 1929. Formerly located on NE Corner of Davis and E 14th Street - Photo from San Leandro Historical Photo and Document Collection 5190
Other Local History Resources
- San Leandro Historical Society: Check out our local historical society for historical resources and events! Make sure to sign up for their newsletter.
- San Leandro History Museum: A great place to visit in-person for in-depth local history, the museum also has an active and information social media! Check them out on Facebook and/or Instagram!
- Hayward Area Historical Society: Another local historical society that offers information on the greater Hayward area which includes Hayward, San Lorenzo, Castro Valley, Cherryland, Fairview, Mount Eden, and Ashland.
- Oakland History Room: Part of the Oakland Public Library, this history resource contains a wide variety of materials relating to the history of Oakland and the larger Bay Area, including books, magazines, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, photographs, postcards, sheet music, trade catalogs, and scrapbooks. Visit in person or check out their online material.
- Online Archive of California: A database of archive collections from over 200 California libraries, museums, archives in California. You can review collection guides (finding aids) of materials, including some digitized items.
- Calisphere: A free database of digitized historical material from University of California universities, libraries and museums. Includes photographs, documents, letters, artwork, diaries, oral histories, films, advertisements, musical recordings, and more.
- California Historical Society: Physical and digital collections, online programs and resources covering a vast range of topics pertinent to California history.
- AlamedaInfo.com: A collection of historic images, such as old postcards, photos and maps, of Alameda County.
- East Bay Yesterday: A weekly podcast covering history, politics and culture of Alameda and Contra Costa County.