- Public Library
- I'm Looking For...
- San Leandro History Resources
- San Leandro History Room
San Leandro History Room
The San Leandro History Room, located on the second floor of the main library, has an impressive collection of books and materials on California and local history.
- The San Leandro Historical Photograph and Document Collection with over 2,200 photos. Photos also available through our catalog by selecting the History Collection from the dropdown menu of the search bar.
- Hayward/San Leandro city directories dating from 1925 to 1965
- Local Middle and High School yearbooks from 1933 to Present
- Alameda County Census Data from 1852 to 1920
- Historic Maps including Sanborn Fire Insurance maps
- Clippings and articles dating from 1960s to present
- Local newspapers (PDF) dating back to 1856
History Room Services
Free Genealogy Walk-in Workshops every Wednesday from 2 pm to 5 pm on a first-come, first-served basis. Ask our in-house volunteer family history expert how to get started researching your family history. Please bring any birth or death dates and marriage dates for parents and grandparents, if possible. Exact dates are preferred, but just the year for any of the dates is acceptable to get your family history research started.
The History Room is also home to the Memory Lab, workstations with scanners and other equipment to digitize material. To learn more about the Memory Lab, visit the Memory Lab page. Please note that patrons must complete a mandatory orientation and book an appointment before using the equipment.
Obituary Research is provided upon request. The service charge for an obituary request from the San Leandro Library is $15, whether the search was successful or not. Checks should be made payable to the San Leandro Public Library Foundation. Searches are made for deaths in San Leandro only. The obituary search will begin after the service charge is received. Download and fill out the Obituary Request Form (DOCX).
Send your request to:
San Leandro Public Library
300 Estudillo Avenue
San Leandro, CA 94577
Mendonca family on farm in Mulford Gardens, no date. Photo from San Leandro Historical Photo and Document Collection 5145
The San Leandro Brass Band, circa 1890. Ten band members pose with their instruments. Edward Tenny, Manuel Miller, Manuel Wilson, Tony Victor, Manuel Frates, (unknown). Photo from San Leandro Historical Photo and Document Collection 5161
Washington Market, Soebeler Watchmaker, and Beer Parlor, ca 1890. Located on Ward St., now Estudillo. Photo from San Leandro Historical Photo and Document Collection 5175
Eagle Candy Kitchen, 1929. Formerly located on NE Corner of Davis and E 14th Street - Photo from San Leandro Historical Photo and Document Collection 5190