Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the San Leandro Public Library. The Library offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. We are currently seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Bookstore cashiers: Our bookstore cashiers operate the cash register and sell merchandise in our bookstore. Skills needed include the ability to work independently, excellent customer service skills, and the ability to operate a cash register and give change. All proceeds from the bookstore support library programs and resources. The time commitment for this position is 2 hours per week.
- History Researchers/Memory Lab Assistants: Volunteers for this position provide assistance with the Memory Lab and History Room. Volunteers provide assistance to patrons conducting history research and to patrons using the equipment in the Memory Lab such as scanners. Skills needed include excellent computer, research and communication skills, and competent in giving instruction on a one-on-one basis. The time commitment for this position is 3 hours per week.
- History Museum Front Desk: This position welcomes museum visitors and staffs the reception desk to answer general questions about the museum and local history. This position is placed in the San Leandro History Museum. Skills needed include excellent communication and listening skills. An interest in local history is a plus! The time commitment is a weekly 4 hour shift Wednesday or Thursday afternoons.
- Storytime Assistants: Our storytime assistants assist our library staff member during storytime sessions. Responsibilities include setup and cleanup and assisting children and their families. Volunteers should love to work with children and be willing to participate in songs/fingerplays. The time commitment is 10:00-11:30 am every Wednesday.
Volunteers should be:
- Ages 18+
- Enjoy working with the public
- Willing to commit to at least 2 hours a week for a minimum of 6 months. Time commitment varies on position. Please read descriptions above for more information.
- Must agree to undergo a background check prior to starting their volunteer service
Application + Application Process
Please fill out the Adult Library Volunteer Application (PDF) and submit to a member of the Circulation or Reference Staff. Please allow for a two-week turn-around response. A volunteer screener will contact you via email to setup a phone interview to review your skills, qualifications and availability to any position that may be open.
If the library and applicant decide to move forward after the initial phone interview, you will be invited in for an in-person interview to more thoroughly discuss your experience and possible placements. Once the library and applicant agree on a placement and weekly shift, the applicant must go in for fingerprinting with the provided paperwork. Once the fingerprints are cleared, a process which can take several weeks, the library will invite the new volunteer in for an orientation and training. Please note that at onboarding, volunteers will need to sign a liability waiver form.
We do not accept all prospective volunteers.
For additional information, please contact the Information Desk at 510-577-3971 or email the adult volunteer coordinator at [email protected].