Police Chief's Advisory Board (CAB)
The Chief's Advisory Board is established under the direction of the Chief of Police. The board is created to act as a community resource for the Chief in the formation of strategies, development of community policing concepts and increasing public awareness. The Board is intended to provide a forum for discussions concerning community concerns and the goal is to have a broad spectrum of viewpoints represented.
The rotating membership of the board is comprised of up to 25 citizens from throughout the community who represent a range of interests and experience. Members are from diverse backgrounds, including business, education, non-profits, public relations, faith community and more.
We are excited to announce that we have opened recruitment for new Chief’s Advisory Board Members to begin their service in 2023. If you have any questions, please contact Assistant Chief Luis Torres at [email protected] or Administrative Specialist Nitza Torres at [email protected].
Role of Members
The role of the board Members shall include (but not be limited to):
- Act as a sounding board for the Chief of Police regarding community needs and concerns, as well as provide community feedback to proposed police programs and priorities.
- Apprise the Chief of Police directly of the community's need for police services.
- Assist in educating the community at large about the function and role of the San Leandro Police Department.
- Attend monthly meetings at the San Leandro Police Station.
- Be a City of San Leandro resident or business owner.
Members are selected from the pool of applicants by a committee comprised of the Chair, Vice-Chair, and 1 member of the Chief's Advisory Board. Members are chosen to serve on the advisory board for their professionalism, integrity and commitment to their community. The Chief's Advisory Board will be led by the Chief or the Chairperson.
Adult members serve a renewable one-year term, and student members serve a maximum one-year term. All members serve at the discretion of the Chief of Police or Chairperson.
Members of the Chief's Advisory Board must be a San Leandro resident or business owner in San Leandro. In order for a member to continue their service on the Board, they must remain a resident or business owner during their tenure on the Board. If a member moves out of San Leandro, they will vacate their position on the Board.
Members may be removed for cause prior to the end of their term by a majority vote of the advisory board. In addition, members who, without being excused by a majority of the remaining board members, fail to attend three regular meetings in a calendar year may be considered to have vacated their position and may be replaced.
Police Chief's Advisory Board Expectations
- Members of the Chief's Advisory Board (CAB) are expected to attend the scheduled meetings and be prepared to engage in an honest and productive dialogue.
- Members of the CAB are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.
- Members of the CAB are expected to maintain the confidentiality of information that is designated as confidential and discussed and/or disclosed during the meetings.
- Members of the CAB are not to utilize the meetings to facilitate personal agendas.
- Members of the CAB may elect a primary and secondary spokesperson to defer media requests to each year.
- Members of the CAB are encouraged to participate in major police events (such as swearing in, promotion ceremonies, and etc.).
- Members of the CAB are encouraged to serve on Ad Hoc committees when requested by the Chief of Police.
- Members of the CAB are encouraged to attend the Citizens Police Academy to familiarize themselves with department operations.
2023 Agendas and Minutes
2022 Agendas and Minutes
2021 Agendas and Minutes
- November 9 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- November 9 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- October 12 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- October 12 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- September 14 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- September 14 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- September 1 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- September 1 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- July 13 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- July 13 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- June 8 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- June 8 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- May 11 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- May 11 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- April 13 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- April 13 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- March 9 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- March 9 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)
- February 9 2021 Agenda - CAB (PDF)
- February 9 2021 Notes - CAB (PDF)