Fields and Tennis Courts
The City of San Leandro Recreation and Human Services Department oversees an assortment of baseball, softball, soccer fields and tennis courts designed to host various levels of tournament and league play for local, regional or state competitions. Any group (personal or organizational) that is requesting the use of City fields and facilities for operating tournaments, leagues, practices and programs must obtain a permit and adhere to the terms and policies.
Field season runs from March 1st - October 31st
City tennis courts are available year-round. Fields and tennis courts will not be available for rental on City holidays unless the request is approved by the Recreation and Human Services Department.
- Baseball Fields
- Soccer Fields
- Softball Fields
- Tennis Courts
- 2022 Field Reservation Info
- Reservation Rules and Procedures
- Reservation Form
The City of San Leandro offers 2 fields for Baseball use: San Leandro Ball Park and Stenzel Field (#2). Both fields are available for youth and adult play.
. This field is an enclosed pro-sized venue with night game capability, state-of-the-art public announcing system, Nevco LED scoreboard, field-level dugouts, pro mounds/bullpens and cement seating on both baselines and behind home plate. The field is used for game play only by all ages. A score booth is available for an additional fee.
Stenzel Field (#2) includes pro dimensions, outdoor dugouts and pro mounds/bullpens. There is grass area for spectators to bring chairs and blankets along both baselines. This field is adjacent to BBQ areas, children's playground and tot lot.
Soccer Fields are available for reservation between April 10th - October 31st.
All fields are closed on City holidays.
The City of San Leandro offers 3 fields for Soccer and Football use: Cherry Grove/Muir Soccer Field, Stenzel Field, and Washington Manor Middle School Field. All fields are locked venues and tailored for youth play. Adult play is available at Cherry Grove/Muir Soccer Field.
Softball Fields are available for reservation between March 1st - October 31st.
All fields are closed on City holidays.
The City of San Leandro offers 1 field for Softball play: Thrasher. All fields are locked venues and tailored for youth and adult play and practice. All fields are lighted venues and offer state-of-the-art Nevco LED scoreboards.
Tennis Courts are open year round. Reservations are available for reservation between March 1st - October 31st.
All venues are closed on City holidays.
The City of San Leandro offers 3 tennis venues for individual, league and tournament play: Cherry Grove Park, Heath Park and Washington Manor Park. 50% of the facilities' courts must be left available for public use.
To: City of San Leandro Field Users
As the 2022 field season approaches, I would like to take the opportunity to assist you in preparing for the upcoming season. The Field Reservation Application which includes policies and procedures will be available online at www.sanleandro.org. Please review the information carefully and submit a completed application and required documents via email to [email protected] As a reminder Fields open March 1, 2022 (weather and Alameda County Health Order permitting).
Please note some important dates for the 2022 Field Season:
December 17, 2022 – Field applications available (online)
January 7, 2022 – Deadline to submit applications (Groups B and C) • Little leagues, City of San Leandro youth/non-profit groups required to submit a 501(c) 3 certificate of status and proof of insurance • Youth rentals require an additional abuse and molestations Insurance coverage of $1,000,000/$1,000,000 aggregate is needed
January 20, 2022 6:00PM via Zoom - Virtual meeting–field user Informational meeting and evaluation discussion.
* In order to be eligible to participate in our Field User meeting we will need for your organization to submit an application no later than Sunday, January 16th.
(mandatory for users who request multiple bookings)
January 24-28, 2022 – Processing and tentative permits sent out (Groups B and C)
February 1, 2022 – Firm contracts (full payment required for groups B and C)
January 27, 2022– Deadline to submit applications (Groups D, E, F, G) [Groups D and F are required to provide proof of residency]
February 7-11, 2022 – Processing and tentative permits are sent out (Groups D, E, F, G)
February 15, 2022 – Firm contracts (full payment required for groups D, E, F, G)
October 31, 2022 – End of 2022 field season
• SL Ball Park – closed every Monday for maintenance.
• Fields closed on city holidays. • A credit card must be placed on file in order to secure fields. • Any payments not received within 30 days of the start of the first booking will be charged in full.
Note: Conflict of dates amongst groups will be resolved according to Group classification/priority.
Parties involved will be contacted to discuss conflicting dates.
I look forward to working with you this 2022 season! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
for City of San Leandro Recreation and Human Services Field Rental
Permits may be revoked by the City for failure by the permit holder to comply with city regulations and any fees paid will be forfeited. Failure to comply may also result in the loss of opportunities to obtain permits in the future.
1. Organizers are responsible for the conduct of their players and must work with game officials to assure that all players conform to facility use rules and regulations, league rules and regulations, and the team Code of Conduct.
2. The renting individual or group is responsible for the conduct of spectators and shall take appropriate action including removal from premises, if necessary, to ensure that proper and safe behavior is maintained at all times. The renting individual or group is responsible for the enforcement of the adopted rules and regulations and Code of Conduct.
3. Emergency procedures shall be made available by the renting individual or group to a responsible individual at every activity. The renting organization must have available first aid supplies and identify the location of the nearest land line to call “911”.
4. At least one adult and/or organization official shall be assigned the responsibility of staying on the site until all participants and spectators vacate the site.
5. Game officials shall possess adequate levels of training commensurate with the scope of the activity and are responsible for
enforcing the rules of the game, event or activity (if applicable).
6. The field permits are granted for a specific use to a specific individual/organization for a specific date/time and are not transferable. Receiving any remuneration, whether for business or charitable purpose, for subleasing City Facilities reserved for a specific activity is not allowed. 7. Payments: A full payment is due 30 days prior to the first rental date requested. Rentals under 30 days will require a full payment once the Recreation Supervisor has confirmed the rental and has received a signed permit from the user/user group. Failure to meet this deadline will result in the cancellation of the reservation.
8. Damage Deposit: A deposit is due upon submittal of application and will be held until the completion of the rental. Deposits will be returned if no damages or breach of contract occur. Depending on the level of damage, fees to cover damage will be approximately $75/hr plus materials/parts for clean up and repairs. If at any time the cost of damages amount reaches 50% or more of the original deposit, the organization must restore the damage deposit to the original amount before their next scheduled field rental.
9. Insurance: Liability insurance is required for applicants with 3 or more bookings or have an estimated group of 100 or more, must present an insurance certificate naming the City of San Leandro as additional insured for no less than $1 million. All youth rentals require an additional Abuse and Molestations Insurance coverage of $1,000,000/$1,000,000 aggregate. Certificates must be on file 15 working days prior to the event and may be purchased through Gales Creek Insurance Services via the Internet. Failure to meet the insurance requirement will result in the cancellation of the reservation without a refund.
11. Cancellation Policy: Events cancelled due to inclement weather will be rescheduled (depending on availability) or rental fees will be credited. The City reserves the right to cancel, modify or change a permit with prior notification to the rental group. Requests for changes or adjustments should be submitted two weeks in advance (15 working days) prior to the rental and confirmed by a new permit. A one-time courtesy permit change without charge can be made before the two week limit. Should there be a cancellation within 15 working days or no-show no refunds will be issued.
12. Alcohol is not permitted in any of our parks: Muni Code 4-1-710 states that no person shall consume or be in possession of any open container of any alcohol beverage in any city park or open space area and a violation punishable by an infraction and fine. This will be enforced by the San Leandro Police Department. Violators are subject to permits rescinded without refund, citation and may be prohibited from future rentals.
13. Charging Admission: Organizations or groups must inform the Recreation Supervisor if they will charge admission for their event and how much admission will be. A special event permit may be required depending on the size and the type of event.
14. Curfews and Restricted Uses: Field rentals are available for reservation March 1 – October 31. Play is allowed between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. To accommodate the City’s watering schedule, no innings may start after 10:30 p.m. The individual or group using a facility must see that all regulations and stated policies covering use of City recreation facilities are met by those in attendance; both adults and children.
15. Inspections: The renting organization using City fields or facilities is responsible for inspecting the playing surfaces, grounds, restrooms and all other site amenities pre and post play. If a deficiency or vandalism is discovered, the City of San Leandro Public Works Department must be notified immediately in order to relieve the renting individual or group of responsibility for the pre/existing conditions. A voicemail message to (510) 577-3444 is sufficient notification.
16. Additional Services: The renting individual or group is responsible for keeping the City field or facility free of litter, disposing of event-related trash and spectator garbage. The renting individual or group is solely responsible for ensuring the facility is left in a clean and orderly manner at the conclusion of each day’s activities. Personal property and/or food are not allowed to be stored at City Facilities. The City is not responsible for any loss or damage of items left on-site. Outside food vendors are required to have a current City business license; dispose garbage properly; locate themselves in an area not blocking the fire lane nor the parking slots for the public; and they cannot be on the field or park area.
17. Use of Sound Equipment: Amplified sound is not allowed in city parks adjacent to residential land uses and neighborhoods. The use of all sound equipment must comply with the City of San Leandro Noise Ordinance, and a special events permit may be required.
18. Use of Fields or Facilities: Use of a City field or facility shall be in accordance with all local laws, ordinances and regulations. Schedules of use and issuance of permits are the responsibility of the City of San Leandro Recreation and Human Services Department. Permits are granted for specific activities to a specific individual/organization for a specific date/time period and are not transferrable to other entities.
19. On-site Vehicles: Vehicles are not allowed on the turf at any time. Vehicles may not be left on sidewalks or paved paths. Vehicles may access the venue to off load equipment and supplies using only paved paths or sidewalks and then immediately parked in the parking lot. The City is not responsible for accidents, injury to an individual, or loss of property at City fields, facilities or tennis courts including adjacent parking lots as per the Hold Harmless Agreement of this application. A parent, guardian or custodian shall supervise minor(s) while at a City field, facility or tennis court.
20. Team Trailers/Snack Bars: Organizations who own equipment trailers and/or snack bars on City property are required to keep the exterior free of graffiti and safe at all times. If graffiti is not cleaned up by the organization within 72 hours of notification, City staff will clean and deduct fees from the damage deposit - $150/container. Repairs must be done in a timely manner by the organization, if not, the City will deduct from the damage deposit.
21. San Leandro Ball Park (SLBP) is a game-only field. Practices are not allowed, no exceptions. Pre-game warm-ups are permitted to 30 minutes per team before game time. All garbage from the snack bar/kitchen must be emptied into the dumpster. Rental fees at SLBP include field prep and bases.
- Liability Insurance is required for any reservation with 3 or more bookings or have an estimated attendance of 100 people or more and must be approved by the field supervisor.
- The insurance must be: General Liability coverage in the amount of $1,000,000.00 and name the City of San Leandro as additional insured.
- All youth rentals require an additional Abuse and Molestations Insurance coverage of $1,000,000/$1,000,000 aggregate.
- Liability insurance may be purchased through Gales Creek Insurance Services at www.galescreek.com/app/index.cfm?jointpowers=1
- Insurance must be provided no later than 15 days prior to your event. Failure to meet insurance