Hazardous Materials

The City's Environmental Services Section regulates the storage, use, treatment, and disposal of hazardous materials and wastes at industrial and commercial facilities.

Visit StopWaste.org's  Household Hazardous Waste Small Business Program for more information on how qualifying small businesses can dispose of certain types of hazardous wastes at Household Hazardous Waste facilities.

Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA)

Senate Bill 1082, which became law in 1993, established a process for cities and counties to become certified by CalEPA as Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs). In 1997, the City of San Leandro became certified as a CUPA.

Large Propane TankAs a CUPA, the City's Environmental Services Section consolidates, coordinates, and brings local consistency to the following state-mandated programs:

  • Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) (Fire Code HMMP and Inventory reporting requirements.
  • Hazardous Waste Generator Program
  • California Accidental Release Program (CalARP) for large quantity toxics and flammables
  • Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tank Program (APSA)
  • Underground Storage Tank Program
  • Tiered Permitting for on-site hazardous waste treatment
  • The Hazardous Materials Area Plan for coordinated responses to large-scale hazardous materials incidents.

More information about CUPA programs may be found on CalEPA's website

Registration Requirements

Businesses must register with the City's CUPA if they:

  • handle hazardous waste;
  • handle hazardous materials above threshold quantities;
  • store petroleum products in aboveground containers above threshold quantities; or
  • handle regulated toxic or flammable substances above state or federal threshold quantities.

Registration is made through the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP)

Facilities that handle a hazardous material or hazardous waste in excess of 55 gallons for liquids, 500 pounds for solids, or 200 cubic feet for gases, must submit an HMBP.
 The HMBP must provide the following information:
 1. inventory of hazardous materials and wastes;
 2. contact information;
 3. site map;
 4. emergency response procedures; and
 5. employee training for hazardous materials.
 The HMBP must be updated and resubmitted or certified (if applicable) annually.

Required Permits

A permit (registration) is required for all CUPA programs and for:

  • operating underground storage tanks
  • installing and modifying underground storage tanks
  • removing underground storage tanks
  • installing aboveground storage tanks