Classroom teachers and home school groups—bring your fourth through eleventh grade students to see what happens to wastewater after it leaves your house!
This is a great opportunity to enhance your curriculum by showing students science in action - cleaning water using mechanical, biological and chemical processes.
We’ll follow a drop of water as it enters the plant, travels through grates, screens and various cleaning processes, and flows into the San Francisco Bay:
- Get a bird’s-eye view of the equipment that keeps our sewer pipes clean
- See how we remove sticks, rocks, sand, gravel and other gunk from water
- Learn how we use bacteria to clean the water
- Meet the chemists who run an average of 45 tests on the water throughout the day
- View our water under a microscope - see our bugs in action
- Find out how you can help keep our water clean
- See how important science is to our community and our environment
- Learn about careers available in the environmental field
Free one-hour tours are available with appointment.
To schedule a tour or for more information:
City of San Leandro
3000 Davis Street
San Leandro, CA 94577