Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement 

The health and safety of our community is our highest priority. In light of recent events related to COVID-19, the City has declared a State of Emergency. An Extended Shelter-In-Place Order issued by the Alameda County Health Officer is currently in effect, and City Hall and the Permit Center remain closed to the public until further notice. Community Development staff continues to respond to public inquiries. The preferred method to report a concern is using MySL. You may also email us at We greatly appreciate your patience during this challenging crisis.

Please refer to the current Alameda County Shelter-In-Place Order and FAQs for information regarding limitations on business and construction activities through May 31, 2020.


Welcome to the Code Enforcement Division! Our mission is to partner with you, our residents and property owners, to improve the quality of life and aesthetics of our community through education, cooperation, and responsive enforcement. The Code Enforcement Team is responsible for enforcing the City's Municipal Code, which includes Weed and Community Preservation Ordinances, and the Zoning Code. The City's Municipal Code governs dilapidated structures; overgrown vegetation; trash, litter, and debris; and unlawful outdoor storage. The City's Zoning Code also covers accessory structures; fences, walls and hedges; and signage.

The enforcement process begins when a concern is reported to us. We invite you to review our enforcement process to familiarize yourself with the steps that the Code Enforcement Team follows in an effort to gain voluntary compliance. We also encourage you to review the regulations regarding concerns common to our community and report valid concerns. The preferred method to report a concern is using  MySL. You may also email us at or call (510) 577-3363.


Common Concerns:

Enforcement Process

Overgrown Vegetation

Fences, Walls, & Hedges

Accessory Structures

Unlawful Outdoor Storage

Trash, Litter, and Debris

Dilapidated Structures

Refuse Containers


Short Term Rentals



To download the mobile MySL app and report a problem using your smartphone:




To Report Violations Not Overseen by Code Enforcement:

Abandoned Vehicles (Police Department)
Animal Control (Police Department)
Building Code Enforcement (Building & Safety)
Graffiti Abatement (Public Works)
Hazardous Materials Issues (Environmental Services)
Illegal Dumping in Public Right-of-Way (Public Works)
(Police Department)
Sidewalks (Engineering & Transportation)
Vehicle Parking 
(Police Department)