Collection Overview | Hours | Historic Photo Database | Services | Local History Resources | Volunteer
Welcome to the San Leandro History Room!
The San Leandro History Room, located on the second floor of the main library, has an impressive collection of books and materials on California and local history. Collection highlights include:
• The San Leandro Historical Photograph and Document Collection with over 2,200 photos. Photos also available through our catalog by selecting the History Collection from the dropdown menu of the search bar.
• Hayward/San Leandro city directories dating from 1925-1965
• Local Middle and High School yearbooks from 1933-Present
• Alameda County Census Data from 1852-1920
• Historic Maps including Sanborn Fire Insurance maps
• Clippings and articles dating from 1960’s to present
• Local newspapers dating back to 1856
Eagle Candy Kitchen, 1929. Formerly located on N.E. Corner of Davis and E. 14th St.
Photo from San Leandro Historical Photo and Document Collection #5190
During this phase of the Library's soft reopening, the History Room will only be open on:
Thursdays: 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Hours subject to change. The History Room is opened during these hours, provided volunteer staff is available. If you plan on making a special trip to San Leandro to visit our library, please call the Information Desk at (510) 577-3971 after 12 noon the week you plan on visiting and ask for staffing status.
When the History Room is closed, please visit the Main Library's Information Desk after 12 noon to request information from the History Room. Most requested items can be brought down for patron usage. Materials in the History Room are for Library use only and cannot be checked out.
You can access historic San Leandro photos from any internet enabled device! To access the database, follow the instructions listed below:
- Visit the Library's catalog page linked here.
- Click the leftmost drop down menu that says "Everything" and select "History Collection."
- Type what you are searching for in the search bar and hit the search button.
- There are two ways to view the photos from the results:
-Click the URL listed in result to open the picture.
-Click the photo's title. This will show you more information about the photo. Click the blue "View" button to the right to view the photo.
- You can print from this page or download the image by selecting the ↓ icon on the top right.
Free Genealogy Walk-in Workshops on the first Wednesday of each month from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm on a first-come, first-served basis. Ask our in-house volunteer family history expert how to get started researching your family history.
Obituary Research is provided upon request. The service charge for an obituary request from the San Leandro Library is $15.00, whether the search was successful or not. Checks should be made payable to the San Leandro Public Library Foundation. Searches are made for deaths in San Leandro only. The obituary search will begin after the service charge is received.
Please click here for the obituary request form.
Send your request to: San Leandro Public Library, Obit Request, 300 Estudillo Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94577
For more information, please call the Main Library's Information Desk at (510) 577-3971.
History Room Location
San Leandro Public Library, 300 Estudillo Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94577
Located on the 2nd floor of the Main Library
- San Leandro Historical Society: Check out our local historical society for historical resources and events! Make sure to sign up for their newsletter.
- San Leandro History Museum: A great place to visit in-person for in-depth local history, the museum also has an active and information social media! Check them out on Facebook and/or Instagram!
- Hayward Area Historical Society: Another local historical society that offers information on the greater Hayward area which includes Hayward, San Lorenzo, Castro Valley, Cherryland, Fairview, Mt. Eden, and Ashland.
- Oakland History Room: Part of the Oakland Public Library, this history resource contains a wide variety of materials relating to the history of Oakland and the larger Bay Area, including books, magazines, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, photographs, postcards, sheet music, trade catalogs, and scrapbooks. Visit in person or check out their online material.
- Online Archive of California: A database of archive collections from over 200 California libraries, museums, archives in California. You can review collection guides (finding aids) of materials, including some digitized items.
- Calisphere: A free database of digitized historical material from University of California universities, libraries and museums. Includes photographs, documents, letters, artwork, diaries, oral histories, films, advertisements, musical recordings, and more.
- California Historical Society: Physical and digital collections, online programs and resources covering a vast range of topics pertinent to California history.
- AlamedaInfo.com: A collection of historic images, such as old postcards, photos and maps, of Alameda County.
- East Bay Yesterday: A weekly podcast covering history, politics and culture of Alameda and Contra Costa County.
If you are interested in history, enjoy researching San Leandro history and like helping people with their history research, join us and become a History Room researcher! If you can work 2 hours or more on a weekly basis in our beautiful History Room, fill out the application and turn it in at the Circulation Desk when you next visit the Main Library. For more information on duties and responsibilities for this position, contact our Information Desk at (510) 577-3971.
A Brief History of San Leandro History (Click here)