Project Literacy is an adult and family literacy program. We provide FREE one-on-one tutoring services for English-speaking adults age 18 or older. All tutoring sessions are in English.
Improve your basic reading and writing skills with an online tutor. Click here to sign up for free help with reading and writing.
Project Literacy is for any English-speaking* adult 18 years old or older who needs help with reading and writing.
*For non-native English speakers, basic English is OK
You choose your own schedule and Project Literacy matches you with a trained volunteer tutor. Your tutor can help you:
· write a resume
· read and understand forms
· fill out applications
· write and send emails
· read to your child
· read the newspaper
· register to vote
· study for tests (GED, Citizenship test, drivers’ test, etc…)
· and more
Project Literacy seeks volunteer literacy tutors year-round and holds tutor training opportunities throughout the year. See below for our next tutor training opportunity.
Tutor Training Workshop Part 1: Saturday February 6th from 10am-12pm on Zoom
Tutor Training Workshop Part 2: Saturday February 13th from 10am-12pm on Zoom
*Must attend all three sessions (orientation + Tutor Training Workshop Parts 1 and 2) to become a Project Literacy Volunteer Tutor.
· be 18 years old or older and have a high school diploma or GED
· speak, read, and write English well
· complete our free tutor orientation and both training workshops
· commit to at least 6 months of volunteering
· tutor a minimum of 2 hours per week
· pass fingerprinting/Live Scan
San Leandro Public Library — Main Library
300 Estudillo Avenue
San Leandro CA, 94577