The Public Works Department is responsible for maintenance of City-owned right-of-ways including streets, sidewalks, median landscapes, and other public areas. The department is also responsible for overseeing garbage, recycling collection services provided by Alameda County Industries (ACI); regulating hazardous materials storage on private property; and responding to hazardous material spills.
The department does not remove vegetation, junk and other debris from the following types of properties:
- Caltrans owned and maintained
- Railroad lines and privately-owned rail spurs
- Privately-owned residences or businesses (occupied or vacant)
- Right-of-ways outside the incorporated City limits
- Flood control channels
- School District owned and maintained
Graffiti is removed from City-owned right-of-ways and from privately-owned properties where the graffiti is visible from the right-of-way. Crews will not access private property to remove graffiti without written consent from the property owner.
Use MySL to report a concern or contact the Public Works Message Line at 510-577-3400.